The Old "Messer Home" as it was knwon for 59 years, was built in 1864 by Joseph T. Russ and his wife Mary, who sold the house to his daughter, Luella Russ Burke.
In 1884, James Burke sold the house to Mary J. West, daughter of James and Harriet Hearn of Greenwood. In 1891 Theodore D. West and his wife, Mary J. Hearn West, sold the house to Sallie C. Messer. In 1927, Sallie Messer sold the house to Amos and Hodges Justiss, her nephews.
In 1950, the house was purchased by the Marianna Woman's Club and Marianna Junior Woman's Club. The house was remodeled at that time to house a club room, Hookwork Clinic, and Public Library.
The house was purchased largely with money the Marianna Juniors received from a federal grant when they supported a program which eventually eradicated the hookworm in Jackson County.
For 26 years the clubs maintained the Jackson County Public Library here.
The house now provides a meeting place for the Marianna Woman's Club and serves as a community clubhouse for area social activities.
Cited from Self-Guided Tour of the Marianna Area. Presented by Main Street Marianna and Chipola Historical Trust Jackson County Florida