The home was constructed in the 1850's and was spared in the Battle of Marianna. The MacKinnon family had been in possession of the property since the early 1900's. Floye Brewton purchased the property from the estate in 2007.
The simple symmetrical design of the house, which was restored to it's original T-shape, is a Federal style home with pegs and hand-hewn beams found through-out the original portion of the house's framing. There are 7 fireplaces with three new chimneys, which were formerly limestone. 1,600 square feet of additions were removed from the house, some of which were areas rented at some point in time. The house has always been a private residence, but it was also used as a restaurant. 3,300 square feet of living space, plus 4 porches were retained. The kitches was once a detatched building, moved to join the original house at some point. That, and the sun-room are the only added portions which remain. There are 3 1/2 baths, a new staircase, with the original staircase retained, though unusuable. Central heat and AC, and a modernized kitchen, with the charm of yesteryear retained.
All other rooms have been restored to their original beauty with only slight alterations. The floors are all original heart pine except the kitchen area. All electrical and plumbing was replaced. The beautifully restored house stands ready to efficiently serve residential or commercial use in the 21st Century.
Cited from Self-Guided Tour of the Marianna Area. Presented by Main Street Marianna and Chipola Historical Trust Jackson County Florida