Four courthouses have stood on this site. Marianna became, after much controversy, the permanent county seat in 1829, two years after it was founded and named by Robert and Anna Maria Beveridge. They also donated the land and paid for much of the building of the first courthouse.
Today the courthouse continues to be the hub of activities for Jackson County, and is the site of a Florida Board of Parks and a Historical Memorial marker describing the Battle of Marianna during the Civil War. There is also a marker erected by the Jackson County Histoical Commission in cooperation with the Department of State giving a brief history of Jackson County prior to its incorporation in 1828.
A momument dedicated to the memory of Confederate soldiers of Jackson County was erected on the north side of the courthouse square in 1881. An Eternal Flame of Freedom dedicated to all veterans by the American Legion and the Legion Auxillary is on the northeast corner of the square.
County records dating back to the 1825 can be found within the courthouse complex record system.
Cited from Self-Guided Tour of the Marianna Area. Presented by Main Street Marianna and Chipola Historical Trust Jackson County Florida