The First Baptist Church was organized in 1881 by seven people who met int he M.L. Dekle home on North Green Street.
The first church was a small wooden structure with a steeple, was located facing east across the street from the present Chipola Apartments. It was built in 1890 and burned in 1916.
The present church, completed in 1920, but the mortgage was not burned until 1938. The very fine building has served the congregation for more than 80 years, and after two extensive renovations, is still a beautiful church, serving very effectively.
The church has corinthian columns, a Greek dome, Roman and Greek Fascia, and beautiful stained glass windows. The circular sanctuary is a favorite style for speakers. The additional buildings serve as educational space and a Family Life Center. The first, known as the Dekle Building, facing east on Green Street, ws built in the early 1950's, followed by the second, the Burns Building, in 1962, facing Clinton Street, now fronted by the Family Life Center, built in the 1980's
Cited from Self-Guided Tour of the Marianna Area. Presented by Main Street Marianna and Chipola Historical Trust Jackson County Florida
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/21/d175088933/htdocs/site/web/templates/gk_news/html/com_k2/templates/default/item.php on line 191