Logo
Print this page

#19 Dekle-Brunner House

#19 Dekle-Brunner House

The original frame vernacular house, which included the back part of the present structure, was built in 1845 by Amanda and Oliver Rostrum. In 1875, the house was bought by Stella Davis Dekle, wife of M.L. Dekle. During that year, the large oak trees were planted.

The First Baptist Church was organized here in 1881. The house has undergone a series of additions and remodeling. The house burned in 1898, and additions were made to include the Victorian trim. In 1928, Dekle deeded the house to his daughter, Luci Neel Dekle, who later married Dr. Robert L. McClendon. The Dekle and Mclendon family had possession of the house for 90 years until it was purchased by Dr. and Mrs. William F. Brunner in 1965. In 1998, Dr Brunner deeded the house to his son, Dr Richard G. Brunner, and his family.

When the front doors were stripped to the wood, it was discovered that the trim on the doors was gold gilt. The present kitchen is the old breezeway to the separate kitchen which now serves as a laundry-pantry. The contemporary family room was constructed of the old lattice back porch. The hanging lamp was an oil lamp which as been electrified. Extensive interior restoration was begun in 2000.

The upstairs consists of four bedrooms, two baths, a hall, nine foot ceilings, and a small porch. The house had 13 functional fireplaces, and the floor beams are 4 x 16 yellow heart pine and run the full width of the house. The carport was the original carriage house. The old ice house is currently used for garden storage and the original stable was Dr. McClendon's dental office.

Cited from Self-Guided Tour of the Marianna Area.  Presented by Main Street Marianna and Chipola Historical Trust Jackson County Florida

Write a comment...
awesome comments!
Last modified onWednesday, 01 January 2014 04:36

Latest from Staff

The Jackson County Times Inc. Jackson County Times A Hatcher Publication All rights reserved.