Logo
Print this page

The Davis West House Guided Tour Book

The Davis West House Guided Tour Book

The original structure was built for John Davis in the early 1840's. His widowed daughter, Rebecca Davis Spears, lived in the house, and in 1861 she married one of the earliest physicians in this area, Dr. Theophilus West. After Rebecca's death, Dr West married Annie Louis Slade from Columbus, Georgia.

One of the most interesting features of the house is the room known as the "St. Elmo Room", so called because the furniture is from the St. Elmo Plantation in Columbus, Georgia where Annie lived with her parents. Several pieces of interest from Virginia known as the "Whitall Collection" are also in the house.

Charles Slade West was the last of the Wests to live in the house, and at his death, in 1996, the house and all the antique furnishings were willed to the Chipola Historical Trust, with the understanding that it would be used as a meeting place and museum, now known as the Chipola Historical Trust Museum at the Davis-West House.

The house, which is on the northeast corner of Madison and Putnam streets, is open for tours by appointment. To schedule a tour, telephone (850) 482-3731

Cited from Self-Guided Tour of the Marianna Area.  Presented by Main Street Marianna and Chipola Historical Trust Jackson County Florida

Write a comment...
awesome comments!
Last modified onWednesday, 01 January 2014 21:43

Latest from Staff

The Jackson County Times Inc. Jackson County Times A Hatcher Publication All rights reserved.