The home was erected in 1896 on a portion of the Ely-Criglar mansion property. In 1900 the property was deeded to Jessie Dickson Bowles. It appears that the house was on the property at that time, as the Bowles family was always told that "this property came into the family in 1900 and was a very beautiful house for the era." "Candy" Anderson Bowles served as U.S. Marshall, Sheriff, Tax Collector, Clerk of Court and Marianna City Manager. The Bowles family owned the house until 1983.
The next owners converted the house into a 5 unit boarding house with 5 bedrooms, a large common kitchen, grand foyer, big living room and lots of porch space. In 1997 Manuella Clark purchased the house and gave the Chipola foundation the use of the house for female student housing.
In 2006, Art and Michele Kimbrough acquired the home and began restoring the rugged residence to a condition reflective of its past but squarely into the present. Three original hardwood floor areas were saved along with 5 coal burning fireplaces, two of which are laced with Italian Marble. With 12' ceilings and nearly 3,000 square feet of interior space, there is ample room for living and entertaining. An additional 1.000 square feet of porches provide a touch of "neighborhood life as it used to be"
Cited from Self-Guided Tour of the Marianna Area.
Presented by Main Street Marianna and Chipola Historical Trust Jackson County Florida
Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /homepages/21/d175088933/htdocs/site/web/templates/gk_news/html/com_k2/templates/default/item.php on line 191