Menu
Blessing of the Fire Engine

Blessing of the Fire Engine

The community gathered la...

4 Tips to deal with mold after a hurricane

4 Tips to deal with mold after a hu…

Residents returning home ...

Commissioners declare state of emergency in light of Hurricane Michael

Commissioners declare state of emer…

The Jackson County Commis...

Commissioners declare state of emergency in light of Hurricane Michael

Commissioners declare state of emer…

The Jackson County Commis...

Jackson County Education Foundation rewards teachers

Jackson County Education Foundation…

Jackson County Schools ar...

DANGER MAKES THE BEST STORIES

DANGER MAKES THE BEST STORIES

Newspapers serve as a kin...

Waste Management stands by abeyance on UIC

Waste Management stands by abeyance…

In response to numerous c...

Tips for building a shade arbor

Tips for building a shade arbor

Building a shade arbor on...

Five generations of Malone Tigers

Five generations of Malone Tigers

Charles Hagler has wished...

Prev Next
History of Marianna Florida

History of Marianna Florida

Marianna FL is the County Seat for Jackson County, with a population of approximately 6,000.  Explore the beautiful historic homes that earned Marianna the nickname of The City of Southern Charm.  

St. Luke’s Episcopal Church ( Continued)

By Mary Robbins, Archivist In our last article we told of events during the first one hundred years of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Marianna. We told about three church sanctuaries: one of inferior limestone built in 1850 and used until 1859, the second a Gothic style frame building consecrated…
Read more...

St. Luke's Episcopal Church

By Mary Neale Robbins, Archivist Parishioners of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Marianna began their anniversary celebration of 175 years in March 2013. The church was organized in 1838 as the result of a visit from The Right Reverend Jackson Kemper, Bishop of Missouri and Indiana. Bishop Kemper had been called…
Read more...

#26 Watson House

This square mile homestead was settled by a young Carolina physician, Dr. William J. Watson, in the earliest days of the Florida Territory. The present house was built in 1885 and later occupied by Carolyn Watson Whitehead, widow of Dr. Edwin Whitehead. Some of the Watson family have lived in the…
Read more...

#13 The 1840s House

The 1840's House, presently owned by McDaniel and Associates, an accounting firm, was renovated by Mr. FloyeBrewton in 1985 and housed his Antique business. It was later the law offices of John Ratzlaff and Robert Trammell. The house was originally the west wing of the present Ely-Criglar Mansion before it…
Read more...

Streetman Turner House

The original portion of the house was built by Dr. Theophilus West in 1901 as part of the Davis addition to the City of Marianna. It was a 4-square design, purchased by the James Streetman's in 1920. Two additions had been added by 1922 and in the next 12 years…
Read more...

#16 St. Lukes Episcopal Church

The first Episcopal Parish was organized in Marianna in 1838, and the first building, of natural limestone, was constructed on the present site in 1851. The structure crumbled and was never used. The second building was consecrated in 1863 only to be burned a year later, on September 17, 1864,…
Read more...

#7 Southtrust Bank Building

The old First National Bank building was erected in 1902 on the site of the W.J. Daniel and Company private bank. The building was one of the finest bank buildings in the state at the time it was built. The officers included some of the more prominent names in Florida.…
Read more...

#12 The Russ House

The house was built in 1895 by Joseph W. Russ, Jr. a prominent landowner and merchant, for him and his mother, who lived there with him only two years before her untimely death. However, the home was owned and occupied by members of his family for exactly 100 years. Around 1910,…
Read more...

#3 Riverside Cemetery

This is the original burial ground for Marianna. Among those buried here are persons who were prominent in the pioneering and development of Marianna, Jackson County, and the State of Florida and includes many Civil War casualties and veterans. It is located east and south of the courthouse off Jackson…
Read more...

#10 Milton House

Since the house was built, about 1909, it has been owned by descendants of Florida Civil War Governor, John Milton. It was originally built by Mr. and Mrs. William J. Daniels. Mrs. Daniels was the grand-daughter of Governor Milton. In 1995, the 4,200 square foot structure was acquired by Albert…
Read more...

#18 Marianna Woman's Club

The Old "Messer Home" as it was knwon for 59 years, was built in 1864 by Joseph T. Russ and his wife Mary, who sold the house to his daughter, Luella Russ Burke. In 1884, James Burke sold the house to Mary J. West, daughter of James and Harriet Hearn…
Read more...

#24 Lewis-Wycoff House

This antebellum home was built in the 1840's by Arthur Isavelle Lewis. It has been sold many times during the ensuing years. In 1984, Floye Brewton purchased the home and restored the oldest part. Obvious additions were removed, and an open porch was added around the entire house. There are…
Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed