Menu
Steve Benton – Students come first

Steve Benton – Students come first

Educators are often consi...

Rahal Miller is now Miller-Miller

Rahal Miller is now Miller-Miller

The commercial from many ...

Ron Mitchell is assistant principal at MHS

Ron Mitchell is assistant principal…

The Jackson County School...

The United States Marines call it “The Canal”

The United States Marines call it “…

If someone decided to re-...

Sylvia Strickland Ingram – teaching more than science

Sylvia Strickland Ingram – teaching…

Teachers come in every si...

County Commission adopts resolution opposing deep well injection

County Commission adopts resolution…

The Jackson County Commis...

Commissioners approve Mark Foreman, Jail Administrator

Commissioners approve Mark Foreman,…

Jackson County has a new ...

USS Tabberer (DE 418) - The Captain  Disobeys Orders!

USS Tabberer (DE 418) - The Captain…

“Any commander who fails ...

The Battle of Midway… and five minutes that changed the war!

The Battle of Midway… and five minu…

Sunday, the Fourth of Jun...

Jeff Johnson – Coach, Mentor, Legend in his own time

Jeff Johnson – Coach, Mentor, Legen…

Jeff Johnson is a fixture...

Prev Next
Jackson County History

Jackson County History

Chipola Historical Trust, Inc. is a non-profit organization composed of volunteers who are dedicated to preservation and restoration of historical properties and memorabilia in the Jackson County area.

The organization is the only group which is totally dedicated to historical projects. They are responsible for purchasing and erecting historical markers, getting qualified properties designated as a National Historical Register property, and generally educating the public in historic matters.

School Board Building Is Gone!

It was 1:30 on March 26, 1968, a typical Marianna spring afternoon when there was a most unexpected event in downtown Marianna. While working on a bus in the bus barn area of the Jackson County Board of Public Instruction Building on Clinton Street, as the bus mechanics were using…
Read more...

St. Luke’s Episcopal Church ( Continued)

By Mary Robbins, Archivist In our last article we told of events during the first one hundred years of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church in Marianna. We told about three church sanctuaries: one of inferior limestone built in 1850 and used until 1859, the second a Gothic style frame building consecrated…
Read more...

St. Luke's Episcopal Church

By Mary Neale Robbins, Archivist Parishioners of St. Luke’s Episcopal Church Marianna began their anniversary celebration of 175 years in March 2013. The church was organized in 1838 as the result of a visit from The Right Reverend Jackson Kemper, Bishop of Missouri and Indiana. Bishop Kemper had been called…
Read more...

Sneads Still Growing

The history of Sneads is so interesting that it is hard to determine where to start and about what to write! The new strip malls, the wonderful ball field/sports complex, the school consolidation, sports teams continuing to excel, good schools with extremely bright, well-rounded young people, a strong community feeling,…
Read more...

Sneads Continued to Grow

It is difficult for us to envision this North Florida area totally overgrown with tall pine trees and large hardwoods which had never been cut. There were very few fields as we know today where you would see acres and acres of cleared land. The soil in this area has…
Read more...

Sneads, a River Town With a Rich History

Due to its location on the river the land on which Sneads is located may be the oldest area settled in this part of Florida. The Indians left many relics which have been uncovered by archeologists over the years. Sadly, many of the Indian settlements are now in Lake Seminole…
Read more...

Jackson County Schools Story continued

This writer has always wondered how several of the school buildings in Jackson County were built in the late 1920’s and early 1930’s. The question seems to be answered in Jerrell Shofner’s Jackson County, Florida, A History, and in J. Randall Stanley’s History of Jackson County. You will recall from…
Read more...

The Jackson County School Story Continues

“I used to walk two miles to school……barefooted! By: Sue Tindel and Robert Earl Standland Continuing with the “Jackson County School Story”, we pick up where Sue Tindell and Robert Standland left off with the listing of the 127 schools in Jackson County in 1916. That seems like a ridiculous…
Read more...
Subscribe to this RSS feed